Is your skin looking a little worse for wear? Lacking that fresh faced look? Everyone’s skin hits a rough patch every now and again but there are a good few things that you can do to bounce back, some of them are listed here so give our 5 tips for more attractive skin a read.
- Don’t turn your nose up at a little masking. If you are suffering from congested skin, or just have an oily skin in general, a clay mask once a week will do wonders for your skin. It will mattify oily areas and extract dirt and grime clogging your pores and causing congestion.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Not only with your products but make sure that you are consuming enough water during the day, aim for about two litres. It will help keep your skin hydrated and minimise fine lines. It will give a more plumped up look to your skin, making you look more awake and not so tired.
- Exfoliation is your best friend. If you’re after a smooth texture and an anti-ageing kick, you absolutely have to incorporate an exfoliator into your skincare regime. It will slough away the dead skin cells, removing dull looking skin. Any product that you place on top of an exfoliated skin works so much harder because it doesn’t have to fight it’s way through that layer of useless cells lying on the surface of your skin. There are two main types of exfoliators: chemical and mechanical. Chemical exfoliators usually have enzymes that act as the exfoliators. They are also usually a lot more active and intense compared to mechanical exfoliators which use granules to exfoliate the skin. The problem with mechanical exfoliators is that often, they can aggravate a sensitive skin so you need to be very selective if that is the route you have chosen to go.
- If you suffer from breakouts, consider cutting dairy from your diet. After extensive research, scientists have found that cows hormones (regardless of whether the product is organic or not) stimulates the oil glands in the skin, which in turn leads to an overproduction of oil and breakouts.
- Get your retinol fix. It’s no secret that retinol has tons of clinical data proving that it improves skin turnover, boosts collagen production and keeps the skin firm and youthful looking. Now, the secret with retinol is to start slow. Don’t jump straight into a high percentage, chances are that you will get a reaction and swear off retinol for the rest of your life. Begin with a low percentage and gradually increase your dosage. Your skin will start to feel smoother, congestion will decrease and soon the anti-ageing benefits will kick in.